Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a hot topic for many industries right now. In terms of cyber security, it can help to detect, prevent and respond to cyber threats. With the growing rise of cyber-attacks, AI sounds like a great solution. In this blog, we are going to take a look at the advantages but also the shortcomings of AI in the cyber security landscape. This will give you a better idea of how AI can assist with company security measures now and in the future.
The benefits of AI in cybersecurity
Cyber-attacks are evolving faster than ever before. Here are some of the benefits of using AI in cyber security:
- AI can deal with a huge amount of data.
- With the sheer volume of threats, some may go unnoticed by a team of security experts. AI can pick up on things that may have been missed by human error.
- AI is quicker than cybersecurity personnel; it finds threats faster.
- AI eliminates time-consuming tasks.
- AI learns over time to improve security in the future. This type of pattern learning is a tedious task for humans.
- As hackers come up with new tactics, AI can identify unknown threats.
- AI can identify vulnerabilities in systems and provide security teams with information about how to fix them.
The downsides of AI in cybersecurity
Whilst AI can strengthen the performance of IT security teams, it isn’t a flawless solution. Here are some of AI’s inadequacies:
- You need humans to construct and manage AI systems.
- It’s both time-consuming and extremely costly to set up an AI system.
- AI has a dependency on data. It’s only as good as the data it is trained on. It needs ongoing updates and enhancements as cyber threats evolve.
- AI can provide incorrect conclusions if it’s not fed with an immense amount of data.
- AI can struggle when it has to deal with unusual or unpredictable behaviours.
- There is a lack of creativity in solving problems compared to a human.
- Cybercriminals can exploit vulnerabilities in the AI system.
- Hackers can also use AI and can develop more advanced attacks by learning from existing AI tools.
How will AI play a role in the future of cyber security?
In the future, AI is anticipated to have a significant impact on cyber security. It will become more accurate in detecting threats and responding to them. However, it is important to note that AI can’t work alone. It needs to be done with a combination of other security measures. AI could complement cybersecurity experts by taking some of the workload and automating repetitive tasks. Ultimately AI will provide more accurate, efficient, and timely security information.
AI is a valuable tool for detecting security threats, identifying suspicious activity, enhancing endpoint security and strengthening passwords. However, it can be used to conduct malicious activity too. It can be tricked or taken advantage of by hackers. AI can certainly provide insights and be used in combination with humans. However, until it can think and act like a human, you need cyber security experts to keep your company safe. If not, then cybercriminals will find ways to penetrate systems with no human intervention.
If you’re concerned about your business’s cyber security, we can help. For cyber security in Milton Keynes and cyber security in Bristol and the surrounding regions, come to Cloud and More. We can design a solution that will suit your business. Contact us to discuss your requirements.